Horsemen of Judgment Keep

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Last Samurai

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jayde
Warlord

PostSubject: The Last Samurai   Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:46 pm

I was asked to post a review on a movie that I thought was worth watching. The first one that came to mine was The Last Samuri.

When I first saw the trailer for this film, I laughed my ass off as I noted that Tom Cruise was "The Last Samuri". All I could picture was him running around ina Kamono saying, "Budda completes me...BUDDA...completes ME!" or "Honorable Gooseson, the Iceman's Kung Fu is strong. Still, he lacks humility and has not yet mastered the flying mustang style". To quote Paul Mooney, "Tom Cruise as The Last Samuri, you have to be kidding me! I am gonna do a movie, its gonna be called 'The Last Nigger on Earth' played by Tom Hanks!"

I did finally see a trailer of that had some absolutely breath taking views and some well coriagraphed fight scenes, with some very authentic looking armor. I begrudgingly went to see this movie on the big screen, hoping at the very least to be entertained by the cinematography and ancient armor and weapons.

In the opening sceens, with my already jaded outlook, I criticized just about everything I could think of with the movie. However, I found that the longer the movie played the less I was able to bitch. The director does a fantastic job of showing you the beauty of Japan and sinks you into the story of the growing pains of this unusual (to western eyes) island country.

By the middle of this movie the director had me on his hook and lead me through a wonderous storyline in which Tom Cruies's character is originally hired to fight the Samuri and is insted captured by them. He then gets to see the lifestyle and ideals of the Samuri and finds in his heart he is fighting for the wrong side. Of course there is a dramatic battle in the end in which Tom Cruise fights along side the Samuri. All in all, it is a wonderful movie and I highly recommend it to everyone.

On a side note, I have never been a big fan of Tom Cruise. I felt he was an actor that had simply been very lucky with his scripts and was just in good movies. This film was a great slap in the face from Tom Cruise directly to me. In fact this movie was good and his performace was so well done a better way to put it visual would be that he kicked the crap out of me.

FINAL REVIEW: I would have paid twice the amount of the theatre price to watch this movie again on the big screen.

The Last Samurai
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1